Alabama Preparing for Wintry Weather and Icy Roadways
With the incoming mix of wintry precipitation, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) encourages motorists to use extreme caution and expect icy roadways.
ALEA offers the following traffic safety tips for those who must travel under such hazardous conditions:
- Monitor local news for information on weather conditions and travel advisories, and check road conditions online here.
- Report traffic crashes or other emergencies by calling 911 or using a cell phone to dial *HP (*47) to reach the nearest Highway Patrol Post.
- Remain alert for emergency vehicles and remember to obey Alabama’s “move over” law.
- Keep vehicles in good operating condition. Check antifreeze levels and use windshield washer solution suitable for freezing weather conditions. Keep gas tanks at least half full.
- Remember weather and roadway conditions may quickly change. Adapt speeds to existing roadway conditions, and be alert to changing weather and the possibility of icy, slippery roads.
- Turn on headlights and windshield wipers, and maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and other vehicles during inclement weather.
- Pay particular attention to bridges and overpasses, which have a tendency to develop hazardous “black ice.”
- Keep blankets, first aid kit, charged cell phone and other emergency supplies in your vehicle.