5 Easy Hacks To Make Groceries Last Longer
With the mandatory stay-at-home order here in Alabama, trips to the grocery store have become less frequent and groceries need to last much longer. Need a few tips to make your groceries stretch a little bit more? No worries! I've found a few hacks to help make them last!
- Store fresh herbs the way you store fresh flowers. Keep them upright in a glass with a little water in the bottom. It's the easiest way to lengthen their shelf life.
- Re-wrap your block of cheese. It's better if it gets a tiny bit of air. So put it in something more breathable than plastic wrap, like wax paper. Then put the whole thing inside a partially open plastic bag. It'll also taste better that way.
- Put a paper towel in with your lettuce or spinach. It absorbs the extra moisture and keeps greens from getting soggy and gross.
- Freeze leftover broth in ice cube trays. A lot of recipes only call for a little bit of chicken stock, so don't waste a whole bottle. Freeze the rest so it's easy to use later.
- Dry your produce really well after you wash it. It's normally best to not wash it until right before you eat it. But you'll want to wash it immediately right now because of the virus. So just dry it well, or the extra moisture can make it rot faster.
(Source)- To see the full list of grocery hacks on Buzzfeed click here.
LIVE UPDATES: Coronavirus in Tuscaloosa, AL