The History Of Tuscaloosa’s Hugh R. Thomas Bridge
In 1974 the six-lane girder bridge spanning the Black Warrior River connecting downtown Tuscaloosa and Northport officially opened.
The construction of the Hugh Thomas Bridge meant the demolition of the old draw bridge which was built in 1922.
The Hugh R. Thomas bridge was named in honor of Alabama State Representative Hugh Rowe Thomas who was killed in a car wreck in April 1967. Thomas was traveling to Montgomery for a special session after being elected in 1966. He 33 years old. Thomas was one of three children of University of Alabama football coach Frank Thomas and wife Frances Rowe.
Here's the Hugh R. Thomas bridge today.