The Northport Fire Rescue stays involved with the community. Just a few weeks ago we talk with them about the importance of changing your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide batteries.This weekend, they are out doing a live FIRE demonstration for your safety!

 

Northport  Fire Rescue will be doing a live fire demonstration Saturday at Publix in Northport showing you what could potentially go wrong when attempting to fry a turkey.

I caught up with public information officer, Capt. Jason Norris via phone this morning. He wants everyone to stop by and say hello and take away a few tips that will keep you safe over this holiday season and encourage you to "Stand by Your Pan"!

See their Facebook post below: like their page to stay updated.

From the Consumer Product Safety Commission's website:
“As fire safety experts have said for years, ‘Stand by your pan!’” said CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum. “If you are frying, grilling or broiling food, stay in the kitchen. Not following this advice can be a recipe for disaster on Thanksgiving and throughout the year.”
When it comes to fires in the home, cooking fires are number one.  They accounted for nearly 150,000 fires (more than 40 percent of  all annual unintentional residential fires) each year from 2009 through 2011.  Unattended cooking is the top cause of cooking fires.  Cooking fires also caused the most home fire-related injuries, with an estimated annual average of  nearly 27 percent, or 3,450 injuries each year.