5 reasons to embrace the cold
As the cold weather continues this week with a hard freeze warning in effect for the next couple days and cold nights into the weekend, we're all shivering and bundling up. On the other hand, there are reasons to embrace the cold, even if we don't love it. Here are 5 of them.
5. Coffee, hot cocoa, hot cider, peppermint-spiced lattes and my new favorite, chai lattes. Nothing better than a tasty hot drink on a cold day.
4. When it's cold is the perfect time to spend the day making comfort food. Roast beef, chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy and macaroni and cheese all taste better when there's a chill in the air. Not to mention casseroles, pies and cakes and a big pot of soup or chili.
3. I love a fire, and when it's cold is the time to light the fireplace and snuggle up with the family, a movie and some popcorn.
2. Does anyone sleep better than on a cold night with the blankets piled high? My wife said the other day that young people can't wait to get out of their pajamas and into their clothes for the day, but there comes a time when you can't wait to get home and into your pj's. The cold weather makes them feel even better.
1. When it's cold, you get extra room in your fridge! Put that beer or wine outside on a cold day and free up some room in the fridge for leftovers.