Winter Weather Closings for Tuscaloosa and Surrounding Areas on Tuesday (1/16)
The threat of snow, ice, and potential travel issues has forced some local schools to cancel operations on Tuesday.
The list of schools will be updated as more make decisions on whether or not they'll have classes with a Winter Weather Advisory looming over most of the state, but here are the ones that have announced closings:
- Bibb County Schools - Will be closed on Tuesday and a decision on a Wednesday delay will be made later
- Birmingham City Schools - Will be closed on Tuesday
- Christ Episcopal Preschool - Will be closed on Tuesday
- Fayette County Schools - Will be closed on Tuesday
- Hale County Schools - Will be closed on Tuesday
- Hoover City Schools - Schools and offices closed on Tuesday
- Jasper City Schools - Will be closed on Tuesday. Wednesday's opening will be delayed until 10 a.m.
- Jefferson County Schools - Will be closed on Tuesday
- Lamar County Schools - Will be closed on Tuesday
- Pickens Academy - Will be closed on Tuesday
- Pickens County Schools - Will be closed on Tuesday
- Stillman College - Will be closed on Tuesday
- Tuscaloosa City Schools - Will be closed on Tuesday
- Tuscaloosa County Schools - Will be closed on Tuesday
- University of Alabama - Will suspend operations on Tuesday
Here are some additional closings:
- Paul Bryant Museum
- Mercedes-Benz canceled 2nd Shift on Tuesday, including 2nd shift for SUV Body Shop. A decision will be made later today on the start-up of C-Shift for tonight for Assembly 2 and Paint. Please check their Facebook page for further updates.
- Dotson's Burger Spot
- Taco Casa
- Tuscaloosa Public Library
- Tuscaloosa Toyota
- Tuscaloosa Museum of Art
- Tuscaloosa County Extension Office
- Tuscaloosa Parking and Transit suspended operations at 10 a.m.
- The Arc of Tuscaloosa
- Kentuck Art Center - Will re-open at noon on Wednesday
Snow is supposed to move through the state starting in the morning hours, but the biggest concern from officials is the potential for icing on the roadways. Temperatures are expected to peak in the low 30s and them drop into the teens at night. This could cause the precipitation in the morning and afternoon to ice over and cause travel problems for a lot of the state.
Stay tuned to this station for the latest local weather updates for Tuscaloosa and surrounding areas.